Thursday, March 15, 2018

Nature Journal: Spring Bulbs


We ended our last session of the Winter Nature Journaling class with a focus on spring bulbs. It was certainly one way to brighten up these cold, winter-like March days.

Everyone painted their own nature pages but I also made a Spring Flowering Bulbs coloring poster for each child so they could paint it and take it home to watch and see when each flower first blooms. In case you want to print and color your own, you can download this Spring Flowering Bulbs PDF.

Each week I am fascinated anew with nature! I always think surely this must be the most exciting week. 

 In the adult class we experimented with masking fluid and everyone painted a little snowdrop picture.


We talked about "negative painting"  -- making something light in color "pop" by painting the background a darker color. This worked well for the snowdrops.

A lot of children enjoyed painting the primroses (not bulbs, but definitely spring flowers).


 This student painted a beautiful bulb -- hard to tell from the original!


Such cheery spring pages!


I've got to get some grape hyacinth's planted for next year! Drawing them made me realize I need to have them!


Everyone's style is different and I love to see the variations.


Now we will have a few weeks break before the spring nature hike and drawing classes begin!

No comments: