Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Currant Bush

The other evening I went out to harvest our red currants. My mom bought me a bush this spring and it is planted in my new garden which surrounds our back patio.

The currants grow on little stems that hang down. Don't they look like little edible jewels? My mom had them growing in her backyard when she was a child, and of course they are well-known in the British Isles. So, it was time we got some of our own!

Apparently, the bush grows fast and large! So, we'll see what happens in the next few years.

A few weeks ago I ordered a surprise box of perennials from Spring Hill Nursery. I paid about $8.50 for supposedly $100 worth of plants. Today the box arrived! I was not disappointed! Inside were four large blueberry bushes (which I see go for $20 each), 2 juniper trees, 4 purple love grasses, 2 butterfly bushes, and 200 gladiola bulbs. Now I just need to figure out where to plant my blueberries and see if I can find homes for the juniper trees. I'm excited about our "new additions" and will have to take some photos of our gardens.

3 comments:

southseaislandhome said...

Oooh I love redcurrants. What are you going to do with it? Red Currant Jelly?

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

My husband and I were just talking about red currant jelly yesterday. Well, he saw it on the grocery shelves (the European brand) and I explained that I'd seen it used in a number of British type recipes.

We've thought about planting blueberry bushes. We rented a house in Michigan that had a couple bushes growing right in the middle of the back yard (with all the trees, I guess that received the most sun).

willow said...

What a bargain with all those plants. Your redcurrants are much riper than mine which are just beginning to colour.

Thanks for your comment, yes I have been following "needled" and have especially enjoyed the recent pictures from Shetland. The wild flowers look spectacular at this time of year, I have never visited in spring/early summer but it looks like a good time to go.