Friday, December 24, 2010

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Christmas Eve is finally here......one of my favorite days of the year. And it looks like it will be a white Christmas outside -- we've had snow most of December and are supposed to get several more inches tonight.

Inside, it's a green Christmas. Yup, we're on day 12 of the stomach flu and still going strong! The only option is to laugh and know that in years to come our memories will still bring us laughter!

Not only that, but my husband is giving me the silent treatment this week. Poor guy, he doesn't mean too, really. It's just that he lost his voice Sunday night while away and hasn't been able to speak since. One would think it would be a wife's dream -- a loving, caring husband just to listen and not solve problems. In reality, it's just a little boring. :)

We did make some gingerbread houses just as the flu started. Christmas baking has been a completely different story than normal this year. It's the first year in my married life I haven't made cut out sugar cookies and taken them to our neighbors. While I marvel at that in my head, I'm okay with it, knowing that lots of things are different because of Laura's condition.

Wednesday we started baking and made candy cane cookies and thumbprints, along with a few gluten-free options.

This shirt is so appropriate for Laura, who is "always jolly". What a sweetheart she is!

We tried our hand at marshmallows last night -- wow! Amazing! We'll try them tonight.

Oh, and look who showed up this week on the kitchen floor?! At the end of September, a caterpillar escaped from a jar in the kitchen and never appeared. After a few weeks, I gave up hope. Imagine my surprise at walking in the kitchen and seeing this butterfly!

We're trying to add to the Christmas spirit by dressing Laura in her santa outfit. She's our real "Santa Baby".
Laura's first Christmas cookie baking:

With all that is going on in our lives, I have been thinking about what really matters right now: loving God and loving those around me. Everything flows out of that.

Merry Christmas from our family to yours!!!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh Heather, I am so sorry about the flu. That is terrible. Thankfully both my kids have been barf free for the past week. (knock on wood)
Love the family picture!!

Alaina Falk said...

Merry Christmas! How awful on the stomach flu! We had very short lived (as in 12 hours or less per person) intestinal bug (stomach for one) 1 1/2 weeks ago and that was bad enough...I can't even imagine. Hope everyone feels better tomorrow!

Seems like a forever since I've seen you or talked to you - we must remedy that before too long! Merry Christmas to you all! Lots of love from all of us. :)

Lovella ♥ said...

Merry Christmas to you and your beautfiul family Heather.

southseaislandhome said...

Merry Christmas Heather and Michael and family! That is a wonderful family photo - beautiful!
Sorry to hear you've been sick - hope it goes away soon. Have a great day tomorrow - it's Christmas Day here already, and we're up to our ears in ripped wrapping paper.

Heather Anne said...

Merry Christmas! Your family picture is just wonderful - lovely!
I've been praying the flu would be short lived at your house - but 12 days is not exactly a short run! I'm so sorry - but I love your attitude! We do need to look at hard things and just put the 'best face' on it, as dear Puddleglum would say! Laughter really is the best medicine!
I'm sorry about Micheal's lost voice - there is something to be said for the strong silent type, but much more fun to be enjoying good conversation with those you love!
This was the first year without much cookie baking for us as well - we did manage some 1/2 batches of absolute favorites, but that was all I had energy for! Oh well! We didn't need those calories anyway!
I hope that things get back to a more normal balance and that this season of flu will be followed by long weeks of wellness for all of you! Merry Christmas!

willow said...

Lovely family photo Heather.
Hope you all recover soon from the flu.

Jessica said...

merry christmas! we have been having a marshmallow marathon at out house. so far the lavender are my favorite. we did maple and peppermint, too. they are one of the more annoying foods to make but the reward is worth the sticky mess! you have such a beautiful family - have a lovely new year!