Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Passing it On

As you can tell, I'm quite passionate about handcrafts. It is hard for me to resist the urge to be busy with my hands at one thing or another. Another part of my passion involves passing skills onto other people -- multiplying the joy you take in something by getting others excited about it as well. What better way to learn a craft! It certainly beats trying to figure it out from the internet.

Last week I had two girls over to show them how to make felted purses. We had a great time and at the end of 3 1/2+ hours they each had a beautiful bag!

Here's the setup -- in my bathroom of all places. It just happend to be the most convenient place -- close to the supplies, sewing machine and felted sweater stash.

The girls each picked out a sweater and designed the shape and color scheme. Despite my apparent lack of spring sweaters, the girls managed to create some very spring-like designs.

And here is the first bag. We lined the bags and attached faux-leather handles. The shape was terrific (very classy) and the lining matched the center flower.

This was a winter sweater with snowflakes as part of the design, but look how well it converted to a spring purse. It's lined in a green that matches the leaves of the flowers.

I loved the resulting color combination!

And here are the girls with their purses!!!

Way to go girls!!!!

4 comments:

Heather Anne said...

They both did a fabulous job - you can all be really proud of your afternoon's efforts! Spring wool sweater colors are a bit harder to find - except in cashmere!

Anonymous said...

Those bags look great! Especially for their first time! If I come state-side anytime soon you can teach me how to make them!

Lovella ♥ said...

What a wonderful thing it is to pass on the talents you have. .
the purses are so sweet.

Ruth MacC said...

The girls look delighted with their day's work, and so they should be! Isn't it great fun working with kids?