Friday, February 26, 2010

Drawing Class

Yesterday was the last day of Drawing Class at homeschool co-op. I taught 6 weeks in the fall and 3 weeks this term. It was a lot of work, but it was very rewarding to see the kids draw -- especially in this 7-8th grade class where the attention span was longer and everyone put real effort into their work.

It was a bit of the blind leading the blind, but my mom gave me some good ideas and I used to some really helpful books (like Teach Your Child to Draw by Mia Johnson and Drawing for Older Children and Teens by Mona Brookes).

I didn't take any pictures last week, when the still life the students did came out really well, but we had some good birds/animals this week too.

In the 7th-8th grade class we covered Lines & Texture, Shading, and Shapes. A fun exercise for shapes is to give each child a bag of construction paper shapes and see what picture they can make -- hopefully they begin to be alert to shapes in the objects they are drawing.

But now I can unpack my bag and settle in to no teaching until the baby is a bit older. It will be back to teacher-helpers at homeschool group.

1 comment:

Monica said...

The girls had such a great time. I'm sorry they missed the last class:( Thanks for your willingness to teach!