Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wildflowers of Indiana

Over the weekend we made a collection of the flowers in bloom just now in our woods:


1. Jack-in-the-pulpit

2.

3. Henbit (thanks Esther!)

4.

5. Marsh Marigold

6. Blue Violet

7. Dutchman's Breeches

8.

9.

10. Trillium

11. Red Bud Tree

12.

13. Honeysuckle

I'm having trouble finding the names of the others -- I'll have to keep looking. We're having rain, rain, and more rain. A good day for staying inside, sipping tea and reading books (not to mention keeping the kleenex handy for the cold).

4 comments:

Andrew said...

What? You couldn't find a dandelion? :) I can help you with that one! :(

Esther said...

Hi Heather!

#3, the upper purple one, is called henbit. Apprarently it's because the leaves look like hens have been nibbling on the edges. When I was little we spent about a week pulling it all out of our lawn by hand, so I know it well. :)

What a pretty collection!

Esther H.

southseaislandhome said...

I love this idea, Heather! Very pretty too.
We have colds at the moment as well. Change of season, I guess.
I wish I could send you some of my quince jelly. Do you think it would get through customs if I did? I'm thinking about doing some more next week.
Rachel L

Lovella ♥ said...

I am terrible at remembering names of our local wild flowers..something I often do to find out. .is to type the locality and then wild flowers and I usually get my answers.
I could send you a whack of dandelions. .that is what we seem to be specializing in.