Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Homeschool Group

This year the circumstances were right for us to join a Homeschool Group. Lighthouse Home Educators is a group of homeschooling families in our area that meet once a week for 6 weeks of classes in the Fall and 6 weeks in the Spring. In between there are optional field trips, family activities, and mom fellowships to participate in.

So far, the kids have really enjoyed our day at LHE. It starts at 9 a.m. with Praise and Worship. Then, everyone is dismissed from the gathering area to their first class.

The Group is highly organized and each mom has a schedule of just where to be and what to do for the 3 hours of classes. My first hour is spent with Andrew in the Kindergarten and 1st Grade class.
Next I join the 2 and 3 year olds for snack and playdough hour. They are very cute!


During the final hour I help supervise the Preschoolers in the indoor playground. LHE meets at a nearby church. It is an amazing facility and very well suited for a homeschool group.

At the end of the morning we all meet back for a short puppet show before eating picnic lunches on the floor.

All in all it is a great opportunity for the kids to experience more "formal" classrooms and to interact with a large group of children their own ages. And of course it is nice to meet other moms who are doing the same thing.

1 comment:

Ruth MacC said...

It looks fantastic, and that's a church building?! I would love to meet with other HS kisa and mums. The only contact I have with any is here on the blogs I visit. I have a few that I visit weekly, you being one of them.

Nice that you wrote up about this and posted the photos.

I had NO idea that you lived in so many places, and all so different. Wae your mum and dad missionaries or something? What you said about different times of life gave me food for thought. Thanks again for yur encouragement AND for sticking with me this week in reklation to my blogging about my cooking and kitchen! I do appreciate it.

Ruth