Friday, May 16, 2008

After The Weekend

Isn't this nest just beautiful?! The children found it in our yard this week and we aren't sure just where it came from. Perhaps the stormy weather we had over the weekend blew it out of its hiding place. Rachel noticed that the robin who built this helped herself to my dried out herbs, giving the nest a very artistic finish:

I had sort of imagined us all collapsing on Monday after our busy weekend. But, the mulch arrived on Monday and we all spent the day helping to get it situated in the flower beds. The children LOVED playing in the big pile!
And here is the result of our (mostly Michael's) hard work. I have yet to go and smooth out the mulch. We finally resorted to just dumping it in piles. The garden is full of plants that came from my parents garden or a friend's garden. We were very blessed not to have to buy any perennials.


I did buy some begonias and dusty miller to plant in the front:


And I had a hankering to make something with strawberries and rhubarb this week so I came up with a strawberry-rhubarb coffee cake. Very delicious!


And today is our first very sunny day in quite some time. I think I need to get out and spread the mulch. For some reason I just feel like crawling in bed with a good book. :)

2 comments:

Alicia said...

ha! your children are brave to play in it. All I remember from many mulch piles as a child was the heat of the summer and yellow jackets. Looks like they had a good time.

I added your blog to my reader...I don't think I've really seen it before!

Monica said...

Your garden looks beautiful. It will be fun to see it grow!

I'm with you on curling up in bed with a good book for a while.