Thursday, April 24, 2008

Back to the Woods

Today the kids and I made it back to the woods. We were excited to see a turtle sunning himself on a log as we passed this little pond. He did not want his picture taken.


On the way back I had to stop and take a picture of this very stately looking Canada goose. I figured he must be a papa, and wondered where the mama was nesting. We looked around, but never saw her.............until, I downloaded this picture. That must be mama goose in the background behind the fallen tree. When the picture is enlarged it looks like she is sitting on some sort of nest. We'll have to discreetly check this out next time we go by!
PS: While resting in the woods one of the children came up to talk to me. Somehow we got on the subject of Daniel Boone and "resting". It came out that this child imagined that Daniel Boone (a famous early American explorer) just got a hotel each evening to rest! Oh my no! Imagine if exploring the frontier and fighting the Indians had been that easy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness -- the Daniel Boone Hotel comment is so adorable. Can't believe how well the mama goose is hidden!